Buckle up. It’s time for another Munchies Monday post! This one was inspired by youtuber Greg Doucette’s protein ice cream. I used the concepts he pioneered to make my own version – which is a delicious low-calorie, high protein chocolate chip cookie flavored ice cream.
Well… I made this and I am posting it on the site so it is obviously the greatest thing ever. But seriously. This stuff is amazing and it is only 250 calories! For the whole bowl!
The. Whole. Bowl. emphasis
Okay, so it is definitely not the same as what you would get from Cold Stone or Ben and Jerry’s but you would easily be eating 1,000+ calories if you had the same amount of one of those. Instead you are having less than a quarter of the calories and 25 grams of protein. Basically, you can easily work this into your diet every night as a delicious guilt free treat. Heck, you can eat it for breakfast because why not? You are an adult. You make your own rules.
The recipe is super simple. The directions below are exactly how I made it but you can get creative. Want to use a different flavor of protein powder? Beautiful. Frozen berries? That’s berry delicious. Maybe some coconut flakes on top for style points? That’s nutty!
Regardless, this ice cream is sure to crush your cravings. Plus, since it is high in protein and has a lot of volume, it is going to keep you full for a long time. This is my favorite recipe so far and I highly recommend you give it a shot.
Side note: you may have never heard of xanthan gum or guar gum. These are not necessary ingredients for the recipe but they are thickening agents. They help give the ice cream the volume and consistency that it gets. They were game changers when I started using them. Really took my ice cream game to the next level. (most of the links are a bit more expensive than what you would find at the grocery store, but these two items are cheaper on amazon than what I have found at my grocery store)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (I used cookies and cream combat powder)
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (you can use between 1/4 to 1/2 cup of any nut milk of your choice)
- 2 TBSP Cocoa Powder
- 1 TBSP Sugar Free Butterscotch Dry Mix
- 1 TSP Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum (you can use 2 TSPs for even more thickness)
- 12 ish Ice Cubes (use more, use less. You are the artist)
- No calorie Sweetener to taste (I used 2 TBSP of Stevia)
- Combine ingredients in a blender.
- Try to resist eating it straight out of the blender.
- Give in and enjoy.
- Sugar Free Chocolate Chips (~30 chips are 25 calories. Full sugar would be about 40 calories. Not too big of a difference so make the choice ya want)
- Walden Farms Chocolate Syrup (0 calories)
- Walden Farms Caramel Syrup (0 calories)
- Coconut flakes
- PB2 Powder (50 calories per 2 TBSP instead of 190 calories for regular PB)
- Fresh Fruit
- Frozen Fruit heated up in the microwave until it makes its own syrup. Delicious (just check the nutrition label to make sure no sugar is added)
Nutrition (includes 7g chocolate chips: ~25 chips)
- Calories: 250 (includes chocolate chips)
- Protein: 29g
- Carbs: 16g
- Fat: 8g
Disclaimer: There are amazon affiliate links included on this post. If you make a purchase from the link I will make a couple shiny nickels and dimes. These are products I have bought and use for myself for several years now.