Welcome back to another Meal Prep Monday! Today we are looking at everyone’s favorite contribution from the French: the French Fry. These fried potato sticks are probably one of the most popular side dishes at restaurants and for good reason. They are just damn tasty. For that reason, I did not want to live in a world where I couldn’t eat French fries AND stay lean, so I found a healthy alternative that keeps me on track.
The poor potato gets a bad rap for being unhealthy because they are usually fried and loaded with unhealthy fats (chips, fries, etc.). However, on their own, potatoes are a great, healthy carb that is loaded with nutrients. Plus, they are highly satiating, meaning they can assist in weight loss because they keep you full and satisfied for a long time.
To preserve the benefits of the potato, these French fries minimize the oil used by taking advantage of an air fryer or oven to make them crispy without all the extra oil from a traditional fryer. This is a recipe I always keep handy in my weekly meal prep arsenal because eating fries feels like I am cheating on my diet but this version of them fits into it perfectly.
I have been using the Ninja Foodi and love it. The combo of the air fryer and pressure cooker have made my meal preps so much easier.
- 1-2 Potatoes
- 1-2 TBSP Olive Oil or Olive Oil Spray
- Seasoning combo of choice (the classic pepper and salt combo is great but why not get crazy with it and add some garlic powder, chili powder, Montreal steak seasoning, or whatever you want. Listen to your heart. I season these pretty heavily since many spices contain no calories or very few calories)
- Cut potatoes into evenly sized fries. 1/4″ x 1/4″ is a good aiming point. The smaller they are, the faster they cook and the crispier the whole fry gets. You can always just cut them as potato wedges as well
- Place the fries in a bowl to toss them in 1 TBSP of olive oil per potato. The more oil you use, the crispier they get, but the point is to minimize the oil to save the calories since each TBSP is ~120 calories. If you really want to save on the calories, you can give the fries a quick hit of olive oil non-stick spray. Emphasis on the quick hit part, since this is still just oil, but in spray form.
- Add in your choice of seasonings and mix them up, trying to evenly coat all the fries with oil and seasoning.
- Place in air fryer and fry @ 380 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Flip them half way. The longer, you cook them, the crispier they get. If you do not have an air fryer, you can cook them in an oven on a sheet pan @ 420 degrees for 18-25 minutes. Flip them half way to crisp both sides. I have found that placing them on an oven safe cookie cooling rack on the sheet pan can help crisp both sides at the same time in the oven.
- Enjoy with your favorite low calorie condiment of choice. I love some ketchup (20 calories per TBSP) or G Hughes BBQ (10 calories per 2 TBSP compared to 70+ in 1 TBSP of other BBQ)
Per 150g Potato with 1 TBSP Oil:
- Calories: 230
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 13g
- Carbs: 26g
Cut out ~100 calories if you use the quick hit of non-stick olive oil spray instead of the 1 TBSP of oil. This is my usual go to method. Or I use 1 TBSP of oil for 2 potatoes.
Disclaimer: There are amazon affiliate links included on this post. If you make a purchase from the link I will make a couple shiny nickels and dimes. These are products I have bought and use for myself for several years now.